problem with filetypes

Jonas Lilja jonas.lilja at exallon.sigma.se
Thu Feb 9 15:58:17 GMT 2006

Hi,

i´ve just installed the latest version of MailScanner (4.50) and my problem is that the changes I do in MailScanner.conf according allowed filetypes don´t take effect even if I restart the MailScanner (the problem is that MailScanner blocks bmp-files). Here is a clip from my conf:

--------------------------------
# Allow any attachment filetypes matching any of the patters listed here.
# If this setting is empty, it is ignored and no matches are made.
# This can also be the filetype of a ruleset.
Allow Filetypes = \.bmp$

# Deny any attachment filetypes matching any of the patters listed here.
# If this setting is empty, it is ignored and no matches are made.
# This can also be the filetype of a ruleset.
Deny Filetypes =

# Set where to find the attachment filetype ruleset.
# The structure of this file is explained elsewhere, but it is used to
# accept or reject file attachments based on their content as determined
# by the "file" command, regardless of whether they are infected or not.
#
# This can also point to a ruleset, but the ruleset filename must end in
# ".rules" so that MailScanner can determine if the filename given is
# a ruleset or not!
#
# To disable this feature, set this to just "Filetype Rules =" or set
# the location of the file command to a blank string.
# Filetype Rules = %etc-dir%/filetype.rules.conf
Filetype Rules = %etc-dir%/rules/filetype.rules
-------------------------------------
My /etc/MailScanner/rules/filetype.rules looks like this (note the "allow BMP"-row):

allow   text            -                       -
allow   script          -                       -
allow   archive         -                       -
allow   postscript      -                       -
allow   BMP             -                       -
allow   JPG             -                       -
deny    self-extract    No self-extracting archives     No self-extracting archives allowed
deny    executable      No executables          No programs allowed
deny    ELF             No executables          No programs allowed
deny    Registry        No Windows Registry entries     No Windows Registry files allowed

#deny   MPEG            No MPEG movies          No MPEG movies allowed
#deny   AVI             No AVI movies           No AVI movies allowed
#deny   MNG             No MNG/PNG movies       No MNG movies allowed
#deny   QuickTime       No QuickTime movies     No QuickTime movies allowed
#deny   ASF             No Windows media        No Windows media files allowed
deny    metafont        No Windows Metafont drawings    No WMF drawings allowed
#deny   TNEF            Windows security vulnerability                                                  No Outlook Rich Text Format messages due to security hole, use HTML instead
#deny   Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format          Windows security vulnerability                                                  No Outlook Rich Text Format messages due to security hole, use HTML instead

I would be happy if someone could help me with this issue.

Regards

/Jonas Lilja, RHCT