OT: Shell Script

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 19:04:53 GMT 2006

On 08/02/06, Denis Beauchemin <Denis.Beauchemin at usherbrooke.ca> wrote:
> Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:
>
> > Up to recently I'd do a sync;sync;shutdown [parameters]...

(snip)

> I too learned many years ago on somewhat limited versions of Unix:
> Venix, Berkeley, AT&T, SunOS.  But the current Linux distros are much
> better than those old versions.

Venix ... the horror (Only touched it briefly, no taint transfered:-):-)

Well, Linux isn't unix and has a somewhat other way of doing things...
But basically, I do agree. And even the modern unices have improved
drastically on this poit ... and most did so quite some time ago:-).

> For example, I used to "tar cf - * | (cd /some-other-dir; tar xvfB -)"
> to copy from one dir to the other; now I do a "cp -a * /some-other-dir"!

Yes, but the tar-copy will always work (you can be sure there is a
tar, but not really GNU utilities;).

> I also used to "sync;sync;halt", but now I can just "halt".

This is turning into a SaNSA meeting... Sysadmins-Not-So-Anonymous:-).
Who brought the chicken wings?:)

> The "diff -r" is also handy in comparing directory trees (goes recursively).
>
> I also love bash's Esc-. that recalls the last parameter typed on the
> previous command line, and Ctrl-R that searches back in the command
> history...
>
> And there is also vim-enhanced that uses color to help us code more
> easily...

... Real help for us colorblind persons....:-)

--
-- Glenn