x86_64 mail servers

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Wed Feb 8 18:29:49 GMT 2006

I'm getting ready to migrate a MailScanner server to new hardware.  The
new machine has an Opteron chip.  Assuming I use a linux distro that
comes in both x86 and x86_64 versions, is there any reason to avoid the
x86_64 version? (I'm not asking about which distro to use!)

I'm running a similar machine as a file server using x86_64 so I am
somewhat familiar with it, but that machine uses mostly software that
came with the distro and is already compiled.  The MailScanner machine
needs more third-party stuff and I wonder about the ability to obtain
and compile all those perl modules and so forth.

I've seen comments on this list that the x86_64 didn't seem to make much
difference and I admit it is simpler to use the plain x86 version, but
it bothers me a little to intentionally not use the software that is
specifically configured for the chip.

Thanks for any insights.

Mark Nienberg
Tipping Mar + associates