Outlook Rich Text Format messages - how to let through?

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Wed Feb 8 17:31:56 GMT 2006

Happens all the time. I've had to deal with a major insurance group here
in Panama whose mail admin:

* installed MailScanner (poorly, including sending notifies for forged
viruses and other NDR joe-job-prone crap)
* has a broken tnef expander implementation,
* is protecting a braindead M-Sexchange version -4 or something
* is forcing everyone to use RTF

I've noticed Outlook Express will receive and not parse the TNEF
attachment, although in extreme cases I've had to right-click,
properties, message source, copy, paste into a uudecoder, then into a
tnef expander in order to get to the file.

<rant>
As long as nobody tells the PHB's there - in a way they'll understand
and believe - that the person in charge of maintaining their mail
infrastructure doesn't really know what they're doing, this crap will go
on. In the meantime you and I deal with it as best as possible, while
documenting the reasons so that when confronted by incompetent admins
with completely bogus advice/reasons/excuses for e-mail not going
through you can "point them in the right direction".
</rant>

--

Alex Neuman van der Hans
N&K Technology Consultants