possible fraud attempt and phising on my mail logs

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com
Wed Feb 8 12:18:27 GMT 2006

spart cus wrote:
> */Dhawal Doshy <dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com>/* wrote:
>     spart cus wrote:
>      > hi guys,
>      > found this logs on my mail server about possible fraud attempt
>     and phising.
>      > is this normal ?
>      >
>      > Found ip-based phishing fraud from 10.2.0.0
>      > Found ip-based phishing fraud from 255.255.255.255
>      > Found ip-based phishing fraud from 10.1.0.0
>      > Found ip-based phishing fraud from 255.255.255.255
>      >
>      > . *MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from
>     "ee.ee.ee.ee"
>      > claiming to be* *MailScanner warning: numerical links are often
>      > malicious: ee.ee.ee.ee*
>
>     [SNIP]
>
>     This is quite normal. It can be controlled using the "Also Find Numeric
>     Phishing" parameter in MailScanner.conf
>
>     - dhawal
>
> can i disable this one? or its better the way it is. coz i checked at
> the mail and it contains lots of links and some router configurations
> wherein ip addresses are present.

Most options in MailScanner.conf can be set to 'yes', 'no' or a ruleset.

To completely disable, use:
Also Find Numeric Phishing = no

To use a ruleset, use:
Also Find Numeric Phishing = %rules-dir%/find.numeric.phishing.rules

i recommend that you read the wiki (wiki.mailscanner.info) OR better,
buy the mailscanner book.

- dhawal