Outlook Rich Text Format messages - how to let through?

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Tue Feb 7 21:37:57 GMT 2006

Dave Shariff Yadallee - System Administrator a.k.a. The Root of
theProblem wrote:

> Just wondering how can one get people on their network to stop using
> TNEF/winmail.dat?

If you have access to the exchange server, you can set it to never send
in rich text format.  Internally people can still use it if they don't
want to change it and you don't have a LART handy.  Externally, the
exchange server will turn it into html.  I have our exchange server to
not send in RTF, and set my Outlook client to do so.  When it landed in
my home account it wasn't plain text.  Here's a bit of the headers:

The X-CBJ-MailScanner headers are mine - the X-ACS headers are my home
account ISP's.  Both seem to indicate that the message is in HTML
format.  The mime content type "Content-type: 	multipart/alternative;"
is sorta different.  Alternative is a bit open ended for my taste but
one gets what one gets with the boys from Redmond...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500