sendmail greet_pause feature

Nerijus Baliunas nerijus at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Feb 7 11:34:31 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:53:08 +0000 Will McDonald <wmcdonald at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Linux, sendmail 8.13 and upwards needs posix, anything before 8.13
> > needs flock.
>
> Is locking autodetecting, if you see what I mean? In the
> MailScanner.conf it says...
>
> # How to lock spool files.
> # Don't set this unless you know you need to.
> # For sendmail, it defaults to "flock".
> # For sendmail 8.13 onwards, you will probably need to change it to posix.

Hmm, I have in my MailScanner.conf from 4.50.15:
# For sendmail, it defaults to "posix".
# For sendmail 8.12 and older, you will probably need to change it to flock

> Does MailScanner know I'm running 8.13 or should I force posix locking?

What do your logs say?
I have sendmail 8.12, Lock Type is empty, so it should use "posix" as written above,
but I see in the logs:

MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.50.15 starting...
Read 701 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
Using SpamAssassin results cache
Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
Enabling SpamAssassin auto-whitelist functionality...
Using locktype = flock

Why is it using "flock"? I understand that for my sendmail version it is a
correct setting, but according to the comment above it should use "posix",
shouldn't it? I suspect Julian changed comment, but then decided to not
make this change and forgot to change comment back.

Regards,
Nerijus