New speed benchmark

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Feb 4 11:27:21 GMT 2006

Glenn Steen wrote:
> On 04/02/06, Res <res at ausics.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, shuttlebox wrote:
>>

>>> Is that with SA or just virus checking? I find that SA with all its
>>> network checks adds a lot more time than the virus scan.
>>>
>> With SA it loads to 4 but it gave us too many false alarms so we disabled
>> it, even when we ran it we disabled most checks, the only thing  it did
>> was indicate spam content, we use qmail and sendmail to test RBL's etc, no
>> point in accepting the full msg passing it to MS to reject/drop when we
>> can reject on header only at MTA
>>

> That in the greater part explains the difference in load avgs. Not
> that I know exactly what network tests Jules ran in this case, but
> your low figures are simply due to you not doing 1) SA, and 2) SAs BL
> lookups. As mentioned, these two tend to add some "real" load and (in
> the latter case) significant "unreal" load;-).

No RBLs in MailScanner, but with SpamAssassin, DCC and Razor.
1 virus scanner. No rules_du_jour but just the rules that come supplied
with SpamAssassin 3.1.
Basically a default install of MailScanner 4.50, i.e. everything
switched on. The only things I added were SA3.1, DCC and Razor.

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.