OT: Mail Archiving

shuttlebox shuttlebox at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 14:08:57 GMT 2006

On 2/3/06, Rodney Green <rgreen at trayerproducts.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm archiving mail to mbox files using the archive rules in MS. I was
> wondering if anyone knows of software that will move and compress the
> archived mail to conserve disk space? Any advice is welcome.

A simple line in crontab will do the job for you.

0 6 * * * find /yourarchivedir -type f -mtime +10 -exec gzip {} \;

The above will gzip files older than 10 days. You can do whatever you want
with similar commands. No need for extra software. I'm sure others will post
more advanced examples, I just wrote a line from memory.

--
/peter