OT: Win32/Mywife.E@mm

Greg Borders gborders at jlewiscooper.com
Thu Feb 2 15:51:59 GMT 2006

My MS system already caught this bad boy:

01/31/06 03:20:21 dstumpf at mpowercom.com user at example.com Fw: 179.1Kb
0.98 0.00 Virus (Win32.Nyxem.F at mm )
ClamAV and Bitdefender to the rescue!

Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
> I got a email from one of my users, always getting "FW:" from them just
> like everyone else.  This one seemed like one of the better ones where
> the information might be actually useful.
>

> Quote:
>
> Please review the following links for information about an extremely
> serious new computer virus due to activate February 3, 2006.
>
> http://www.technologyreview.com/TR/wtr_16222,323,p1.html
>
> http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0127blackworm27-ON.html
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/904420.mspx
>
> Unquote
>
> Naturally as long as everything is up to date things should be ok.
> People don't really know that a virus is going to happen before it does
> do they?

Only if the bug has a timer/date trigger in them.  They get installed,
then lie in wait, and BAM do nasty things later.  Once detected early,
we effectively reverse engineer the virus code, know that the virus will
trigger in the future, thus know it's going to happen before. Once users
update their scanning softs they can be assured the bug will be
eradicated before they trigger.

The media is a funny animal, they latch onto these bugs seemingly at
random, spreading doom and gloom, when we techs know that new bugs are a
daily occurrence, and are quickly and quietly squished by anti-virus
community.

Greg Borders
Sys. Admin.
JLC Co.

--
This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the

believed to be clean.