Having trouble with mqueue.in

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Feb 2 09:00:25 GMT 2006

On 1 Feb 2006, at 21:54, Tim Grooms wrote:

> Julian Field wrote:
>>
>> Tim Grooms wrote:
>>> Installed MailScanner-4.50.14-1 and ClamAV/SpamAssassin today
>>> from the rpm files
>>> MailScanner-4.50.14-1.rpm.tar.gz and
>>> install-Clam-SA.tar.gz
>>>
>>> Everything seemed to work fine in the installs.  Ran
>>> upgrade_MailScanner_conf and
>>> upgrade_languages.conf and those seemed to go ok as well.
>>>
>>> I am using Fedora Core 4 and sendmail.  I cannot get incoming
>>> mail to come through and get
>>> the following when trying to start MailScanner:

>>> [root at www log]# service MailScanner start
>>> Starting MailScanner daemons:
>>>            incoming sendmail: Warning: Option: AuthOptions
>>> requires SASL support (-DSASL)
>> Look for AuthOptions in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf. Try commenting it
>> out completely.
>
> Ok, I'll do that next.
>>> /): No such file or directoryspool/mqueue.in
>> Did it really say that? If so, you've screwed up /var/spool/
>> mqueue.in somewhere. Check it printed exactly this. You should
>> have a /var/spool/mqueue.in directory with the same permissions
>> as /var/spool/mqueue.
> Yep, that's exactly what it said and I do have both directorys with
> the same permissions.  When I tell it to stop MailScanner I get the
> following line:
>
> : No such file or directoryne 315: cd: /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
>
> but there is a /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming folder also.  I can
> stop MailScanner and start sendmail and I can receive mail again.
> But once I stop
> sendmail and start MailScanner my mail stops coming in again.
>>>
>>>                           [OK]
>>>             outgoing sendmail: Warning: Option: AuthOptions
>>> requires SASL support (-DSASL)
>>>
>>>                           [OK]
>>>
>>> MailScanner
>>>      [OK]
>>> [root at www log]#

>>> There are no errors in the maillog file everything appears to
>>> start normally. I have checked the
>>> folders and permissions in /var/spool  and all seems OK there as
>>> well as the path in
>>> MailScanner.conf to both incoming and outgoing queues.

I still think it is to do with the ownership of /var/spool/
MailScanner/incoming. Can the "Run As User" read all the directories
down from / to /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming? It needs to be able
to read them all or MailScanner won't be able to reach the dir.

- --
Julian Field

believed to be clean.