ALL_TRUSTED problems

dnsadmin 1bigthink.com dnsadmin at 1bigthink.com
Wed Feb 1 21:51:48 GMT 2006

At 04:06 PM 2/1/2006, you wrote:

>On 01/02/06, Glenn Steen <glenn.steen at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hello Richard,
> > >
> > > I looked back at the threads for this post after I saw something very
> > > spammy and pornographic (even spelled correctly!) slip by my server
> > > last night and it was due to the ALL_TRUSTED rule as well. Is that
> > > what happened to you?
> > >
> > > Where are the guts of what is triggering ALL_TRUSTED?
> > Hi Glenn,
> >
> > The "guts" are in spamassassin, of course... Matt Kettler has covered
> > this extensively on this list in the past (how it works, what it is
> > and what to do about it getting misdetected)... Pehraps one of those
> > would turn up if you search the list archives (on gmane) for kettler
> > and trusted_path:-).
> >
> > > I don't have any trusted_networks defined in my configs that I know
> > > of, nor have seen since hunting through configs for this.
> >
> > You should set trusted_networks to your mailservers IP addresses
> (or network).
> > IIRC this is suggested in spam.assassin.prefs.conf / mailscanner.cf ....
> >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Glenn
> > >
> > --
> > -- Glenn
> > email: glenn < dot > steen < at > gmail < dot > com
> > work: glenn < dot > steen < at > ap1 < dot > se
> >
>Here's a link to one (with Jules reply... First hit, and I'm too lazy
>to find the original:-):
>http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.virus.mailscanner/26152/match=kettler+trust+path
>
>--

Thanks Glenn,

I read the whole thread dated 03/08- 03/10/2005. I still don't see
the resolution. I am not NAt'd. I am not gatewayed. I am cleared by
my ISP to answer direct DNS PTR. I love Sprint, by the way! Nor do I
see why this was all of a sudden a factor on my server, when I can't
say that it has been in the past. Could I have missed it?

It is possible, since I have Dynamic DNS customers on a Verizon
network, and the IP neighborhood was close on this nasty spam, that
SA was making an educated guess?

  I've been sitting on MailScanner version 4.41.3 for quite some time
and was preparing to upgrade this weekend.

Thanks,
Glenn Parsons