McAfee and lack of detection

Alisdair Davey ard at pergamentum.com
Sat Dec 30 23:33:08 CET 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-31 at 07:52 +1000, Res wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006, Rob Freeman wrote:
>
> > We used to use mcafee but stopped using it as it did not detected nearly the
> > amount of virus's that clamav and f-prot were getting.  Just added overhead.

> And to add to that, clamav doesn't detect near as much as f-prot,

I think this is a YMMV situation. I started getting inundated with
postcard.exe files starting on Thu which Clamav caught as
Trojan.Downloader-388 / Trojan.Downloader-390. It wasn't until
lunchtime today that f-prot finally tagged one as "a security risk named
W32/Tibs.gen4". In my experience f-prot has only been quicker to detect
a new virus on only 3 occasions in the two years I have been using it.
I'm sure people can provide counter example to this. It just shows we
should all be using more than one virus scanner and then of course
MailScanner, for the countless times it stopped files that none of the
virus scanners thought contained a virus!
Cheers
Alisdair

Alisdair Davey                                  ard at pergamentum.com
2066 Dailey Ln                                  www.pergamentum.com