whitelist_to getting exploited

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at herffjones.com
Fri Dec 29 19:23:48 CET 2006

Mailscanner can't split one message into several and treat them
differently based on recipient.  Doing so would risk queue filename
conflicts.

But you can have your MTA split messages with multiple recipients into
one message per recipient -- then each message that mailscanner sees
only has one recipient.

There are some definite caveats to consider though:
	- you'll use more bandwidth, since you're
	  delivering multiple copies of a message where
	  before you only delivered one.  This may or may
	  not be significant for you.

	- you'll increase the number of rows in your
	  mailwatch tables, if you're using mailwatch.
		- However, mailwatch 1.x is 'broken' in that
		  it only records one recipient per message
		  anyway, so while you're increasing the load
		  a bit, you also may be saving yourself a
		  different headache later.

	- you'll increase the number of log entries -- this
	  is probably insignificant.

	- you'll increase the mailscanner processing load,
	  since e.g. one message may become five messages.

I used to split all inbound messages.  I wish I still could, but in my
case I started bumping against the limits of my hardware and opted to
gain some performance by turning off the splitting.