Why doesn't DCC help against image spam?

Remco Barendse mailscanner at barendse.to
Thu Dec 28 00:02:22 CET 2006

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, Matt Kettler wrote:

>> Should one use imageinfo OR FuzzyOCR, or both together?
>
> If you have plenty of CPU cycles to spare, go for both.
>
> imageinfo is pretty lightweight, so anyone should be able to use it unless their
> SA box is already overloaded.
>
> FuzzyOCR isn't too bad because of the priority thing, but it is still a
> noticeable load. Folks with servers that are already getting to be a little bit
> marginal should skip this.

If I would need more cpu cycles, I'd buy them, the cycles cost less than
all the people deleting this crap in paid hours.

Are there any howto's on how to install FuzzyOCR and/or imageinfo or are
they included in some other package? (I hope I don't have to sort out 10
million dependencies) :)

Thanks for all the replies, really interesting!

I also have some regular honeypots that I advertsise hidden in webpages on
several webpages but that doesn't stop much of the spam unfortunately.
The honeypots are simply ending in the 'definatively spam' box for
SpamAssassin.