Why doesn't DCC help against image spam?

Mike Kercher mike at vesol.com
Wed Dec 27 18:58:32 CET 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info on behalf of Dennis
Willson
Sent: Wed 12/27/2006 11:52 AM
To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: Re: Why doesn't DCC help against image spam?

The only "image" Spam that is currently getting through my filters is
the "stock scam" images and they are different everytime I see it and
they are using wavy text, odd colors and mixed fonts, etc... to try
and fool the OCR scanners.

So, my question would be, how effective are the OCR scanners when the
Spammers are doing this?

Since I put my new Spam Trap in place I have seen a reduction of this
Spam getting through. It appears the honeypots are seeing the sources
of the images first (or close to it) and stopping that source...
ofcourse they rotate sources through out the day, but the honeypots
are getting over 2000-3000 new IP address every day. The "hit rate" on
the now blacklisted source is fairly high.

What spam trap did you put in place?

Mike