Why doesn't DCC help against image spam?

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Wed Dec 27 17:21:47 CET 2006

Pete Russell wrote:

> Glenn Steen wrote:
>>>
>>> FuzzyOCR runs by default with a low priority (runs as last SA test), so
>>> it only run when the SA score (so far) is > $X, so set that to your low
>>> threshold, and FuzzyOCR only runs on spam that hasn't been tagged yet.
>>> Works quite well, and doesn't take all that much cpu, since > 70% of the
>>> image spam is caught by the other methods.
>> True enough... When I've been testing I haven't been taking that into
>> consideration (looking at "synthetic" situations can blind one to
>> things:-). Will likely implement it in production some time early next
>> year then. Thanks Ken.
>
> Should one use imageinfo OR FuzzyOCR, or both together?

If you have plenty of CPU cycles to spare, go for both.

imageinfo is pretty lightweight, so anyone should be able to use it unless their
SA box is already overloaded.

FuzzyOCR isn't too bad because of the priority thing, but it is still a
noticeable load. Folks with servers that are already getting to be a little bit
marginal should skip this.