Why doesn't DCC help against image spam?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Dec 26 19:27:10 CET 2006

Ken A spake the following on 12/26/2006 9:50 AM:

> Scott Silva wrote:
>> Glenn Steen spake the following on 12/26/2006 8:58 AM:

>>> Depressing but true... I think I'll have another Julsnaps... To
>>> enliven my defenses... (If the snaps fails to do that.... well, at
>>> least I'll be having more fun...:-)
>>>
>>> Seriously though, I think the only real effective defenses (on my
>>> sysytems at least) against image-based spam has been a combination of
>>> the digests (yes, they do take _some_ of it), RFC "strictness" checks
>>> (in PF) and ImageInfo (and some TVD rules picked up by an sa-update).
>>> When these fail I'll be going for FuzzyOcr (have just tested this so
>>> far, but ... it really needs muscle that the production boxes lack).
>>> Or someone really clever will have found another method:-).
>>>
>>> Ceers
>> Since I have to work, have a Julsnaps for me!
>>

> "What's in a Julsnaps?", said the curious fellow in California?
> I can't have one unless I know how to make it!
> :-)
> Ken A
> Pacific.Net
Glenn could answer this better, but it is an herbal liquor found in the Nordic
regions of europe. It is usually served as close to frozen as you can get any
form of alcohol. It has a distinct kind of nutty-fruity taste, and seems to
have a fairly high alcohol content. I haven't had it for more than 20 years,
but I still remember it. And I have not had anything like it since.

So since you can't "make" it, you might be able to find some in a place like
Bevmo in California. Some variations are called akvavit, but if I remember
correctly, Julesnaps is a variety served around the christmas holidays.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and