Recommended RBL's on MTA?

Res res at ausics.net
Sat Dec 23 12:34:03 CET 2006

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006, James Gray wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This is slightly off topic, but I figured it was a good place to ask.  What
> RBL's are people using on their MTA?  I'm currently driving a number of
> Postfix boxes so far have all the RBL's in SpamAssassin, but would really
> prefer to block some of the rubbish before it gets that far.
>
> What RBL's have people had success with? More importantly, which ones should
> I avoid?

spamhaus, spamcop and sorbs

Beware the people attacking spamcop, many of them dont like the way that
if their users send to one of spamcops "traps" they will block you, which
is fair enough, as the trap addresses are not real and not advertised.

On a network processing 1700 messages per minute, no complaints and no
more false positives then any other RBL, and we had maybe 2 or 3
complaints a month about RBL blockings, we have about 3 a day panicing
cause of MS's phishing warning :)

One thig with SORBS though, they will block any server, including hotmail,
though its only the particular server in the cluster, so you'll probably
get most through without noticing anything out of the ordinary, the safest
way would be to whitelist hotmail.com in your MTA, then let MS deal with
whats spam. It's not that much of a problem really, as your in au and
maybe wondering about consequences here, Optus use them.

--
Cheers
Res

"Just a world that we all must share, it's not enough just to stand and
stare, is it only a dream that there'll be no more turning away" - Floyd