OT: mail server /var/mail

Martin Hepworth martinh at solidstatelogic.com
Wed Dec 13 10:51:05 GMT 2006

Sujith Emmanuel wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    Thanks for the reply, am using uw-imap 2001a for imap ipop3. Most
> of the time people check mail using pine ie login into the server
> directly through ssh and use pine.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Sujith Emmanuel

ah yes, UW-imap will keep people's inbox's in /var/spool/mail (or
whereever the default spool file is) when using imap, any other folders
get created in the home directory of the user.

Given they login to the server first, might be useful to move people to
pop3 access then all the email with get moved to their home dirs.

Another thing is get people to delete stuff, move stuff to other folders
and/or use quota's.

I think this is a common problem for mail-admins the world over, people
don't know how to process email properly.

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

the system manager.