Need confirmation on Posix/flock settings

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Dec 8 22:45:10 GMT 2006

dnsadmin 1bigthink.com spake the following on 12/8/2006 2:20 PM:
> At 04:57 PM 12/8/2006, you wrote:
>
>> dnsadmin 1bigthink.com spake the following on 12/8/2006 11:21 AM:
>> > Hello All,
>> >
>> > I recently upgraded with the current ClamAV/SpamAssassin tarball and
>> had
>> > flock set after SpamAssassin upgrade, but I seem to remember that I was
>> > advised to run Posix on a 2.6x kernel.
>> >
>> > I am running mailscanner-4.50.15-1 from RPM install and latest
>> > ClamAV/SpamAsassin install on CentOS 4.4, kernel 2.6.
>> >
>> > Please confirm; I should be running locking-type = posix, correct???
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Glenn
>> >
>> Posix with sendmail 8.13 on linux. Centos 4.4 has sendmail 8.13.
>> If running on postfix, your answer will follow from those more
>> knowledgeable...
>>

> Thanks Scott! Yep, that's got me!
>
> Now one more question, though; it's flock on kernel 2.4, isn't it?
>
> I also have a mailserver on Whitebox 3.x. same MailScanner/SpamAssassin
> version, sendmail 8.12.x. Yes, I know.. I'd love to upgrade it, but I
> can't at the moment.
>
> Thanks,
> Glenn Parsons
>
>> --
>>
>> MailScanner is like deodorant...
>> You hope everybody uses it, and
>> you notice quickly if they don't!!!!
>>
>> --

I think that sendmail 8.13 is not compiled with flock support on any linux
version or kernel. The only way I know for sure is to run the following on the
suspected system;
sendmail -bt -d0.10 < /dev/null | grep HASFLOCK and see if it matches.
If it returns blank, then use posix.