Way OT... Anyone having DNS Problems today?

Ken Goods KGoods at AIAInsurance.com
Fri Dec 8 17:34:32 GMT 2006

Martin Hepworth wrote:
> Ken Goods wrote:
>> We're experiencing an issue where about 50% of the sites we try to
>> visit will not come up and about the same amount are returning
>> emails as undeliverable. I can get to Google, MSN, and a few others
>> but not to Amazon, yahoo, etc.. etc...
>>
>> Almost looks like DNS poisoning because the error message I get is
>> from an Apache system and not the usual one I would normally get
>> from our proxy server.
>>
>> Has anyone else noticed anything strange with DNS this morning?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Ken
>>
>> Ken Goods
>> Network Administrator
>> AIA/CropUSA Insurance, Inc.
>>
> Ken
>
> opendns is under attack for the last few days. also one of the RBL's
> has been having problems over last night....
>
> --
> Martin Hepworth
> Senior Systems Administrator
> Solid State Logic
> Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300

> the system manager.
>
> This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept
> for the presence of computer viruses and is believed to be clean.

Thanks Martin,
Upon looking closer at the DNS cache I noticed a lot of entries with A
records pointing to 64.34.222.20 making me think it was DNS poisoning. But
after clearing the DNS cache I'm still having problems with a few sites. I'm
still not sure exactly what's going on because I get error trying to display
yahoo.com:

Not Found
The requested URL / was not found on this server.
----
Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.yahoo.com Port 80

Which I also get on cnn.com and who knows how many others, but in looking at
the cache the ip's for yahoo's nameservers appear to be correct now (after
clearing the cache and restarting DNS). I guess the next step would be to
reboot that machine just to make sure it's not the culprit.

Thanks again for your input.
Kind regards,
Ken

Ken Goods