How do others do it?

Chandler, Jay chandler at chapman.edu
Tue Dec 5 19:17:20 GMT 2006

Scott Silva wrote:
> Chandler, Jay spake the following on 12/5/2006 10:05 AM:
>> I'm three months into the mail management duties, and I've taken the
>> university from a kludged together implementation of SpamAssassin to
>> running on MailScanner for inbound.
>>
>> Now I'm preparing to tackle the task of setting up Mailscanner
>> outbound.
>>
>> Obviously I want virus scanning enabled, but how do most of you
>> handle the spam scanning issue?  Do you tag and pass, do you not
>> scan at all, or some other option?
>>
> If students will be accessing the mail system, then I would hold them
> to the same standards that you apply to incoming mail. Students are
> notorious for doing things "they aren't supposed to do". You can
> whitelist any administration people that need to be.

Unfortunately, we're in a position where there are close to 2000 staff
members who'll be using it-- two boxes handle the entire outbound load
for everything, be it our webmail, exchange server traffic, and (since
we disabled port 25 outbound a couple months back) any SMTP traffic
whatsoever that leaves our network.

I do realize that if I start flagging departmental messages as spam,
I'll catch hell, so how have others balanced the greater good of society
with the needs of their local institutions?

--
Jay Chandler
Network Administrator, Chapman University
714.628.7249 / chandler at chapman.edu
Today's Excuse: The rubber band broke