syslog issue

Bob Jones bob.jones at usg.edu
Mon Dec 4 17:53:04 GMT 2006

Hey all.  I just upgraded to 4.57.6 (though this problem existed in the
previous version as well) and am having an issue with logging.  Namely,
I'm not getting any mailscanner log entries.  I've tested my syslog
configuration and have successfully logged to mailscanner.conf with the
logger command:

logger -plocal3.debug test

Here is the pertinent section of MailScanner.conf:

# Logging
# -------
#

# This is the syslog "facility" name that MailScanner uses. If you don't
# know what a syslog facility name is, then either don't change this value
# or else go and read "man syslog.conf". The default value of "mail" will
# cause the MailScanner logs to go into the same place as all your other
# mail logs.
Syslog Facility = local3

# Do you want to log the processing speed for each section of the code
# for a batch? This can be very useful for diagnosing speed problems,
# particularly in spam checking.
Log Speed = yes

# Do you want all spam to be logged? Useful if you want to gather
# spam statistics from your logs, but can increase the system load quite
# a bit if you get a lot of spam.
Log Spam = yes

# Do you want all non-spam to be logged? Useful if you want to see
# all the SpamAssassin reports of mail that was marked as non-spam.
# Note: It will generate a lot of log traffic.
Log Non Spam = yes

# Log all the filenames that are allowed by the Filename Rules, or just
# the filenames that are denied?
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Log Permitted Filenames = no

# Log all the filenames that are allowed by the Filetype Rules, or just
# the filetypes that are denied?
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Log Permitted Filetypes = no

# Log all occurrences of "Silent Viruses" as defined above?
# This can only be a simple yes/no value, not a ruleset.
Log Silent Viruses = yes

# Log all occurrences of HTML tags found in messages, that can be blocked.
# This will help you build up your whitelist of message sources for which
# particular HTML tags should be allowed, such as mail from newsletters
# and daily cartoon strips.
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Log Dangerous HTML Tags = no

Any ideas?

--
Bob Jones