Greylisting (WAS: Re: MailScanner ANNOUNCE: 4.57 released)

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com
Mon Dec 4 16:42:03 GMT 2006

Richard Frovarp wrote:
> Michel van der Klei wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 01:42:02 +0200 Nerijus Baliunas
>> <nerijus at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I still get message corruption which I reported a few days ago when
>>> using Postfix with milter-greylist 3.0.
>>>

>> What are the big advantages of milter-greylist? I use postgrey in
>> combination
>> with mailscanner and i'm very statisfied with the results. AFAIK is
>> postgrey
>> the tool to use with postfix.
>>

> milter-greylist allows syncing of the greylists amongst several servers.
> I did not see the other sendmail milters advertising that capability. I
> don't know if postgrey can do this or not.

You could run postgrey as a TCP service say "inet:192.168.0.1:5678" and
have a single instance servicing multiple servers. If you insist on
local instances, see sqlgrey which can talk to a remote database (over
TCP/IP). There are a variety of policy servers available to suit/fit
most requirements but as the MILTER_README states.. why re-invent the
wheel.. The postfix devels also state that policy servers are the
*preferred* way of doing things and milters are the next best option.

Anyways, the compatibility of MailScanner with Postfix (with milters
enabled) is important and needs be addressed (whenever Julian has time).

Nerijus, Glenn had mentioned that you send some raw samples (where
privacy is not critical) of mails pre and post milters to Julian.. did
you manage to do that?

- dhawal