thks for the mailscanner tool

vinay poojary vinay_poojary2000 at yahoo.co.in
Fri Dec 1 12:11:51 GMT 2006

Dear Sir,

  It does not requires any username / password for the auth .The user can use his own username / password and only change the email address in the email client .So to stop email spoofing in u r own organistaion is difficult .

  can we have any option for email spoofing in mailscanner .

  Regards,
  vinay poojary

Dhawal Doshy <dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com> wrote:
  Martin Hepworth wrote:
> vinay poojary wrote:
>> Dear Sir,
>>
>> I am using mailscanner with sendmail.The sendmail is installed with
>> smtp-auth .I have no such problems with mailscanner .I am just
>> enjoying the mailscanner configuration .
>>
>> But presently i am facing the problem of addres spoofing .The people
>> in my own company can change the from address and send mail to anyone
>> via smtp auth .Is there any way i could stop these address spoofing .
>>
>> Thks in advance .
>>
>> Regards,
>> vinay poojary
>
> Vinay
>
> 1st point of call on this is a proper Acceptable Use Policy. If they use
> business computers for non-work things, they go the normal disciplinary
> procedures, or even straight to dismissal under gross misconduct. (never
> under estimate the power of HR policy!).

i agree that this can taken up at a different level (read as catbert), i
also think that poor passwords are also responsible for sender spoofing.
We had a case a year back, where a "secure" SMTP server was used for UBE
(via a korean IP), using authentication that was quite easy to guess
(password = username). Now we now enforce stricter passwords ;-)

- dhawal