Debian package outdated?

Matthias Klose doko at cs.tu-berlin.de
Thu Aug 31 16:51:58 IST 2006

Martin writes:
> Glenn Steen wrote:
>
> > quite a bit, version-wise. Jules has a debian package on his pages,
> > but i think you need dpkg it... Or can one set that as a separate apt
> > repository?
>
> Since we're talking about versions here, why is the Debian package only
> at 4.51.5-1 (link on mailscanner site is pointing to Debian unstable)?
> There are many versions released after this one.

I have a recent package, but I don't know if it still makes sense to
provide the package in Debian.  The recent releases don't ship any
documentation.  Even the manual pages are dropped.  Checked on the
website, which documentation could be included:

 - the online documentation doesn't have any copyright statements.
   In this way it's not distributable by Debian.  Please point me
   to the copyright(s), if I'm wrong.

 - the online html documentation currently isn't really nice to
   distribute, including all the advertising on every page.

 - The MailScanner-Manual-Version-1.0.5.pdf (which I currently cannot
   find on the website anymore) has a copyright, which doesn't allow
   distribution of MailScanner as free documentation.

So we are down to a piece of software which Debian can only ship
without documentation.  I'm not sure if that makes sense.  MailScanner
itself may be still free software, but much of that status is lost
without free documentation.  Julien, please correct me if I'm wrong.

  Matthias