List of variables for substitution in reports?

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Thu Aug 31 11:06:12 IST 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Julian Field wrote:

> The "$UPPERCASE" is so that you can put in environment variables into
> the reports. With your $HOSTNAME problems I would suspect that your
> default shell setup doesn't set the shell HOSTNAME environment variable.

I had the recollection that this ought to work.  But it seems not to do so
for us.  (We have flavours of "Fedora Core" 3 upwards: I believe the
installs are reasonably "as delivered", local tweaks mimimal; and MS
versions 4.50 upwards: some tweaks, but no major surgery.)

The machines stay up for ages.  From time to time I completely restart
MailScanner from a shell prompt.  That shell has $HOSTNAME.  And a
subshell also has $HOSTNAME, so that env.var. would seem to be exported.
Yet still the apparently blank (empty, unset, etc.) HOSTNAME in:
   the %org-name% ($HOSTNAME) MailScanner

Any hints as to how I might debug this?  (Useful places in the code I
could bug with diagnostic "print" etc.?)

Naturally, I would intend report my findings.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :