MailScanner hangs once a day

Sergio García Caso sergiogc at treelogic.com
Wed Aug 30 12:06:56 IST 2006

> >> The output of "MailScanner --changed" might be useful here too, just in
> >> case you have made a mistake in your MailScanner.conf.

I can´t execute "MailScanner --changed" (It says: 'Unknown option: changed'). Today MailScanner hasn´t stopped yet.

> >> Do your cycle your syslog files more than once a week?
> >> Is syslog still running when you discover MS hanging?
> >> Are there any mail files in the /var/spool/MailScanner/PID dirs?
> >>      -check timestamps for the latest maillog entry against the files
> >> I might have missed it but what virus scanner do you use?
> >> Do you use spamassassin
> >> Is the MTA still operating (is the in queue getting bigger and bigger)
- I cycle my syslog every day.
- Syslog continues running after MailScanner hangs.
- In /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/ there are several dirs with mail
files. There is another file too called 'SpamAssassin.cache.db'.
- In /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin/ there are several files called
'bayes....' (for example: 'bayes_toks.expire10031',
'bayes_toks.expire20819')
- I use the virus scanner ClamAV 0.88.4
- I use Spamaasassin 3.1.3
- I use Postfix 2.3 and it continues running after MailScanner hangs