Max SpamAssassin Size problems

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Sun Aug 27 23:15:16 IST 2006

Julian Field wrote:

> Anthony Peacock wrote:
>> Ken A wrote:

>>> I'm all for #3 and and just set "score FUZZY_OCR_CORRUPT_IMG 0" if you
>>> are worried about false positives. Fuzzyocr will get better at sorting
>>> this out. And of course in the mean time, don't use outlook, since it
>>> will probably render corrupt images just fine. (it's a feature)
>> This could be controversial here...
>>
>> <Evil Grin>
>> I have another suggestion, why don't we agree to leave the MailScanner
>> code alone.  Those people who are experiencing problems with broken
>> images can raise the value of "Max SpamAssassin Size" in *THEIR*
>> configurations, the rest of us can carry on as normal.
>>
>> There is already a way for people to adjust how much information SA gets
>> from MailScanner, people who need more information can used that on
>> their systems.
>> </Evil Grin>
>>
>> <Ducks and Runs>
>
> Quack, quack, scamper, scamper....
>
> In my book, that is a remarkably good idea. It would be much simpler for
> me to implement than any of the other, increasingly complicated versions.
>
> What objections to people have to simply letting you set this yourself?

I've resisted this thread on another list. It seems to me that there is
nothing wrong with MailScanner. I believe the only way the users of
these plugins will be happy (considering the possible up and coming Word
plugin) will be if MailScanner could selectively send either a partial
message or a whole message to SpamAssassin. Determined by.... dunno.

I for one want no part of a plugin that requires I send every single
message in it's entirety to SA every time. I'd be DOS'ed within a month.
I also think this issue is not a MS issue as spamc/spamd have message
size limitations by default. In fact if the message exceeds the size
limit I don't believe it is even sent to spamd by spamc is it? (Can't
remember).

In any event I vote no to sending every message and it's attachment to
SA. Please let me decide how much of a message is sent to SA.

DAve

Veterans?