Max SpamAssassin Size problems

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Aug 26 13:59:36 IST 2006

Anthony Peacock wrote:
> Ken A wrote:
>>

>> Logan Shaw wrote:

>>> I don't like the last option at all.  It still easily allows
>>> a situation where a valid message with a valid image in it
>>> gets detected as a corrupt image and hits a rule that scores
>>> it as spam.
>>>
>>> If we assume there are 80 columns of base64 data per line, then
>>> we get 60 bytes per line (since each base64 character carries
>>> 6 bits of data).  That means 100 lines only holds 6K, maximum.
>>>
>>> So this option only works if the chop-off point randomly
>>> happens to fall within the last 6K (or less) of the image.
>>> If the max message size causes the initial chop-off point to
>>> fall any earlier, it still creates an invalid image.  If you
>>> have a 50K max message size and someone sends a 75K image
>>> (which is not out of the ordinary at all), this method will
>>> keep going up to 56K and then quit.
>>>
>>> Basically, adding the 100 extra lines is really not much better
>>> than chopping right at the max message size barrier, unless
>>> you assume that most images aren't much larger than 6K, which
>>> I don't think is a valid assumption at all.  So, this option
>>> adds extra complexity and doesn't really give much benefit.
>>>
>>>   - Logan
>>
>> I'm all for #3 and and just set "score FUZZY_OCR_CORRUPT_IMG 0" if you
>> are worried about false positives. Fuzzyocr will get better at sorting
>> this out. And of course in the mean time, don't use outlook, since it
>> will probably render corrupt images just fine. (it's a feature)
>
> This could be controversial here...
>
> <Evil Grin>
> I have another suggestion, why don't we agree to leave the MailScanner
> code alone.  Those people who are experiencing problems with broken
> images can raise the value of "Max SpamAssassin Size" in *THEIR*
> configurations, the rest of us can carry on as normal.
>
> There is already a way for people to adjust how much information SA gets
> from MailScanner, people who need more information can used that on
> their systems.
> </Evil Grin>
>
> <Ducks and Runs>

Quack, quack, scamper, scamper....

In my book, that is a remarkably good idea. It would be much simpler for
me to implement than any of the other, increasingly complicated versions.

What objections to people have to simply letting you set this yourself?

- --
Julian Field

Contact me at Jules at MailScanner.biz

believed to be clean.