auto whitelisting

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 09:27:12 IST 2006

On 23/08/06, Matt Kettler <mkettler at evi-inc.com> wrote:
> Glenn Steen wrote:

> >> Well, that's true.. but it can also cause spam to be tagged when it would
> >> otherwise be missed.
> >>
> >> Remember.. the AWL is NOT a whitelist..
> >>
> > Exactly!
> > I can say for a fact that the AWL has been keeping my false
> > rejection/tagging rate well down, even after applying some things
> > (ImageInfo mainly) to get a grip on the image based spam. Without the
> > AWL, many a financial newsletter would have gone down the drain... As
> > it is now, I cannot find one case where they've got tagged or removed.
> > Haven't seen the wildly fluctuating "missfires" of the AWL that some
> > report either.
> > So I'll be keeping my AWL on, for that crucial score averaging I need.
> >

> You know, one thing I find highly amusing is that even though I personally
> dislike the AWL, I wind up being a proponent of it to some folks. Which is
> completely fine by me, but rather funny.
>
> I guess that's what happens when you're more focused on giving folks the real
> facts about the AWL than on telling them how bad it is.
>
> It's hard to tell that I dislike the AWL if your read some of my wiki stuff on it:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AwlWrongWay
>
> I guess I just dislike misinformation a whole lot more than I dislike the AWL.

:-)
I guess this is as good a time as any to say thank you for making it
simpler to make an informed decission on the matter. Good docs like
that (that I've pondered in the past, I might add:-) is the lubricant
that make our toil so much simpler.
As you imply, whether to use the AWL or not is not really a b/w
thing... more like a study in grey, as with so many things in life:-).
One just needs to keep an eye on things:-)

--
-- Glenn