Filesys::Df module error after upgrade

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 09:02:55 IST 2006

On 22/08/06, Douglas Ward <dward at nccumc.org> wrote:
> Thank you!!  I was indeed missing the perl-devel package.  After I installed
> it the Filesys::Df module installed properly.  Thank you for your help!

Glad to have been of help!

On a slightly philosophical note, Mandriva may have evolved away from
its roots but it is still fairly similar in the way it is "come
together" with any RedHat/Fedora thing. Major things like the
separation of any package into "run-time" and "devel" packages is
common to them all (as well as the kernel source being the most
blatant exception:-). So this type of error could have happened on any
distro with that type of "setup".
Why did it work for you before? Well, it probably didn't:-). But then
you had equivalent rpm packages installed for the crucial perl
modules, so all was well.
The unfortunate side effect of installing Jules nice (tarball source)
packages or modules from CPAN is that it'll more or less invalidate
the rpm database (for those packages), so best is always to only have
a package installed by _one_ method. Otherwise a regular "urpmi.update
-a && urpmi --auto-select --auto" (or similar (yum) method) might
"backdate" that newly cpan-updated module. Oh well.
To be fair to Jules excellent effort, his rpm packages will do the
right thing and build/install the modules as rpm packages, so those
are pretty safe.
Hm, that's enough philosophical mumblings for today:-D.

Again, really nice to hear I could help (it being such a dreary day...
pouring rain... Sigh).

(snip)

--
-- Glenn