Max SpamAssassin Size problems

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Wed Aug 23 00:18:21 IST 2006

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Kash, Howard (Civ, ARL/CISD) wrote:
> With the new OCR/Image verification plugins now available for
> SpamAssassin, MailScanner truncating messages due to "Max SpamAssassin
> Size" in the middle of an attached image is causing higher than normal
> scores due to these images appearing to be corrupt.  How hard would it
> be to truncate to the closest MIME boundary (either before or after this
> value) instead of in the middle of it?  You could increase the value of
> "Max SpamAssassin Size", but unless it's the same as the max allowed
> message size you're still going to potentially truncate MIME
> attachments.

That's a very good point, and in fact it could explain some
false rule firings (of FUZZY_OCR_CORRUPT_IMG) that I've seen,
although it's hard to know for sure.

If the closest MIME boundary thing turns out to be prohibitively
difficult, another idea is to just have a flag for tests
that indicates whether the test should be run if the message
was truncated.  Of course, that might require changes to both
SpamAssassin and Mailscanner, so maybe not that easy...

   - Logan