Thoughts on Barracudas?

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Tue Aug 22 01:43:56 IST 2006

My two cents:

I've noticed that the effectiveness of a system using MailScanner *will*
degrade as spammer tactics change, unless you properly feed and care for
it. This is true however, for any system.

There are markets for every kind of gadget available, and that's a fact
of life. If they are willing to spend money on an "appliance" (only a
different box with some different software, but in the end
*everything's* an appliance), they will go ahead and do it.

I *have* noticed, however, that there are *some* people out there in the
IT field that lack the resourcefulness that is sometimes required when
you're dealing with technology. These people will go out of their way to
buy "appliances" not because it saves them money or resources (that
*will* be their stated "reason", but you and I know it's their covert
*excuse*), but because they can blame someone else when it breaks,
instead of fixing it.

Spam will leak through eventually in any system. You have to train your
users so that they don't engage in spam-attracting activities (giving
out their e-mail address, writing it on a webpage or a forum, using
those crappy "remind me of my birthday" address harvesters, etc.), you
have to train your system (using bayes or whatever), you have to keep
upgrading your protection (including more clever ways to detect spam),
and in general, be proactive.

That said, MailScanner is like the stone in the "stone soup" tale. It
uses third party AV scanners, third party content scanners (spamassassin
et. al), third party MTA's (with their own milters or whatever), and
basically scans for bad content if any of the other pieces missed
something. It's probably the best example of a program being "much more
than the sum of its parts".

Without knowing the specifics of the situation these few people are in,
I'm reminded of many of my relatives who, after a year or two using
their brand new car, realize they have to do things like realign their
tires, change their oil, check their batteries, etc. - "I thought it
just ran on unleaded!!". You know the type. We used to call them
"flashing 12s" in the 80s. :-)