Thoughts on Barracudas?

sandrews at andrewscompanies.com sandrews at andrewscompanies.com
Tue Aug 22 01:16:18 IST 2006

Yeah, defender would seriously cut into billable hours and we really
don't want that. ;)

We can all cron the thing until our eyes bleed but I prefer not to; that
way every couple weeks the spam increases a bit (as it normally does as
spamers figure ways around the blocks), and the client calls and
mentions it; we add a few more rules or update the version or SA and the
junk goes away for a while.

I've trained all my clients that keeping spam at bay is hard and
requires vigilance; you make an appliance that does that well and I'll
be pissed.  I think the barracuda does a good job, but since it's an
appliance it does appliance level work.  If you want to knock off 80% of
the spam with 20% of the work, barracuda will do that; but a properly
manged MS box will do quite a bit better imho, but that performance
comes from a human making decisions and isn't that what they pay us for?