Thoughts on Barracudas?

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at fsl.com
Mon Aug 21 16:02:34 IST 2006

If you have 30 or less users and an exchange backend it's typically much
less expensive to use a service to scan your email. Fortunately there are
many out there that use MailScanner :)

Perhaps Julian could add a page that lists these MailScanner friendly sites
and their location by country :)

> > How easy is it to use?
>
> The interface is pretty, but not very intuitive.  Training it is
> difficult:
> you pretty much have to let it collect a bunch of mail, then click on each
> of those items of mail with a web browser and tell it Spam or Not Spam.
> At
> least at the time I played with it there was no equivalent to feeding it a
> couple corpi via sa-learn.
>
> There's a built-in quarantine feature that I couldn't use because of my
> mail store system (non-LDAP-friendly).
>
> It makes pretty pictures.
>
> Tweaking settings per user was both easy and hard -- I couldn't make it do
> what I wanted.  Like so many commercial products, you're sort of stuck
> with
> the way of thinking about mail and spam that they've built in.
>
> I think they tried too hard to get personalized spam handling per
> recipient,
> which is something my site doesn't use.  (We have almost nothing
> configured
> per-user except the level of spamminess at which mail is deleted before
> they
> ever see it, and even that's only done for about 10 people.)
>
> > Does it actually work?
>
> Kinda.  We had more spam getting through it than I had getting through
> an old MailScanner with an old SpamAssassin on it.  It's nowhere near
> as flexible as MailScanner, but for straight up picking spam out of the
> email stream, it did OK.
>
> > Can it survive the loads they say it can?
>
> Not in my tests.  I was getting bigger delays in processing across a new
> Barracuda than I was getting across MailScanner before the last two big
> speed improvements... running on a Pentium 3 900MHz with 256 megs of RAM.
>
> > And, of course, how does it compare with MailScanner?
>
> I stayed with MailScanner.  It does not win my vote, particularly when
> the load is large.  :-)

Stephen Swaney
Fort Systems Ltd.
stephen.swaney at fsl.com