OT - Multiple Virus Scanners

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com
Fri Aug 18 15:37:43 IST 2006

Sam Lewis wrote:
> On Aug 15, 2006, at 2:46 AM, Jon Bates wrote:
>> I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on running multiple
>> virus scanners with MailScanner. I'm currently only running ClamAV,
>> and I was thinking about running one or two more.
>> Could someone recommend what other scanner/s to use? My main concern
>> is system resources. I would like something that doesn't load up the
>> server too much more as ClamAV is quite light on resources from my
>> experience with it.
>
> Clam is good, but I also use CA's eTrust AV.  I find that using two
> scanners increases the chances of picking up newly discovered variants,
> for in some cases eTrust has the definitions before Clam.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
> --Sam

Mcafee's uvscan is good enough and quite cheap (if you opt for the SMB
edition multi-user pack). Plus the newer engine (5xxx) is quite low on
resource usage compared to the previous versions and virus defs are
released daily (sometimes multiple times a day)

BTW, for those using speedownload.nai.com (see the archives) are
recommended to change to ftp.nai.com.. the download speed difference is
huge!!!

Also i find bdc quite annoying on the CPU usage.. to consider it for
long term usage.

- dhawal