OT - Multiple Virus Scanners

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Aug 16 17:52:30 IST 2006

Peter Peters spake the following on 8/16/2006 2:26 AM:
> Glenn Steen wrote on 15-8-2006 14:39:
>
>>> If you have a site license for a commercial AV, you might be entiteled
>>> to download/use/update their *nix priduct too. This is true for at
>>> least McAfee.
>
> We do. But we explicitly have decided against using that on our main
> servers. It is already running on the clients and Exchange. I want to
> use another scanner to protect from mistakes that might show up on one
> of the scanners. It will be picked up by the other scanners.
>
> --
> Peter Peters, senior beheerder (Security)
> Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)
> Universiteit Twente,  Postbus 217,  7500 AE  Enschede
> telefoon: 053 - 489 2301, fax: 053 - 489 2383, http://www.utwente.nl/itbe
But MailScanner updates the virus scanners every hour, and your desktops
probably only check once a day or even less often.
That extra few hours can make a LOT of difference on the zero day of a new
virus. I have McAfee on the gateway and on the desktops (along with
Bitdefender and clam-av) and one of them will always start hitting a new virus
 before the rest catch up.
Think of multiple virus scanners as having a backup parachute. The day you
need it, you will be glad it was there. Even bitdefender, which isn't the best
scanner, has saved the day with some new threat. And the load from virus
scanning is much less than the load from spamassassin.
--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and