OT - Multiple Virus Scanners

Randal, Phil prandal at herefordshire.gov.uk
Wed Aug 16 10:46:43 IST 2006

Peter Peters wrote:

> Glenn Steen wrote on 15-8-2006 14:39:
>
> > If you have a site license for a commercial AV, you might
> be entiteled
> > to download/use/update their *nix priduct too. This is true for at
> > least McAfee.
>
> We do. But we explicitly have decided against using that on our main
> servers. It is already running on the clients and Exchange. I want to
> use another scanner to protect from mistakes that might show up on one
> of the scanners. It will be picked up by the other scanners.

I don't think that's the best strategy.  We use McAfee corporately, and
I run their uvscan on our MailScanner box too, for one simple reason.

If one of the email servers or desktop PCs starts screaming about a
virus, I can be very confident that it hasn't got in via email, and has
thus probably come in via the web or an infected laptop.

Block as much as possible at the border.

Cheers,

Phil
--
Phil Randal