Whitelisting doesn't appear to work

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Tue Aug 15 23:31:41 IST 2006

Tony Stocker wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I've set some entries in /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.whitelist.rules
> because I have had several messages marked as spam that were actually
> the MailScanner "Virus Detected" messages.  I'm modifying the
> addresses slightly to protect myself, but let's say that my
> mailserver's address is "197.100.235.132", this then is the entry that
> I have in the spam.whitelist.rules file:
>
> From:           197.100.235.    yes

Toss in this line for good measure too:

    From:           127.0.0.                        yes

> However, I am still getting "Virus Detected" messages marked as spam,
> (see slightly munged example below) even with this entry.  What am I
> doing wrong?

What else is in spam.whitelist.rules?  I.e., do you have a default entry
as the *last* line?  It should be:

    FromOrTo:       default                         no

In MailScanner.conf do you have the following line?

    Is Definitely Not Spam = %rules-dir%/spam.whitelist.rules

HTH...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500