OT - Outbound mail server integrated with FTP

John Schmerold john at katy.com
Mon Aug 14 17:36:57 IST 2006

I'm looking for a solution to the problem of large (often duplicated)
email attachments. It seems to me that a simple solution to the problem
is to have a specially configured outbound mail server that detaches
attachments from any email greater than 50K, generates an ftp account
and inerts a message at top of the email saying "go to
ftp://un:pw@ftpserver.com for attachment referenced in this email.

If the server was really smart, it would generate a CRC of each outbound
attachment so duplicates could be stored as one file.

Anyone see anything like this? I've been doing some Googling, without
great success.

John Schmerold

Katy Computer & Wireless
20 Meramec Station Rd