OT - Greylisting (was: Re: gOCR SpamAssassin plugin)

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Fri Aug 11 20:17:32 IST 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 02:07:52PM -0500, Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:
> Kevin Miller wrote:
> > Michael Baird wrote:
> >
> >> Greylisting decreases load immeasurably on a mailscanner system, the
> >> cost of greylisting is much less then allowing the message to go
> >> through the mailscanner sytem. I deployed it several months ago, it
> >> really is a good tool, and I've had very few complaints (10000 users).
> >
> > I just use Sendmails greet pause which is 10 seconds to set up and works
> > a treat - does greylisting add significant control or improvement over
> > that?  Anybody using them in tandom or is one or the other to be
> > preferred?
> >

> > ...Kevin
> I use both *everywhere*. Now if I could have greet_pause auto-whitelist
> after a certain threshold... :-)

You could, if you were willing to dynamically edit your access file
and then do a makemap hash. It probably could be rigged so that it
wasn't terribly dangerous. One way might be to batch the updates, and
run them every hour or so, saving the data to files with timestamp
data as part of the name. Hmmmmmm ... .

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx