MS unable to detect From address from DSN and failure notice emails

Drew Marshall drew at themarshalls.co.uk
Fri Aug 11 17:45:29 IST 2006

On Fri, August 11, 2006 17:25, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Matt Kettler wrote:
>> Most DSN's are sent with a From: HEADER that contains mailer-daemon, or
>> postmaster. However by RFC requirements the ENVELOPE From is <> (empty
>> or null
>> address).
>>
>> This much should explain the logging, as MailScanner is logging the
>> envelope
>> from, not the content of the body-text From: header. Sendmail MTA's copy
>> the
>> envelope from to the "Return-Path" header upon delivery. I'm not sure
>> what
>> postfix does, but you might want to check it. To see what your MTA is
>> using,
>> this message should have an envelope from of
>> "mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info", not mkettler at evi-inc.com.

Postfix does exactly the same. The Null sender is usually just shown as

Sadly I agree about the postfix list, mention MailScanner and you tend to
be on a looser :-( Having said that Weitse is usually pretty good about
following RFCs so I am confident that Postfix will be properly behaved
with DSNs.

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy