Multiple mqueue.in directories with priority

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Aug 10 22:55:46 IST 2006

Roman wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how can I set up MailScanner & sendmail this way
> that I'll be able to have 2 separated mqueue.in directories.
>
> I have one email account through which I send news letters (20-40k emails)
> and other emails that I use for regular emails.
>
> The problem is when the newsletter being send out it fills mqueue.in
> and mail can not be delivered before MailScanner scans all 20-40k emails.
>
> I saw posts here that people were able to configure different outgoing
> queues (fast, slow)
> But I think that the bottleneck is SPAM and Virus scanning in
> Mailscanner. So I want to separate
> queues before it gets to MailScanner processing
> .
> What I would like to achieve is have a mqueue.in.normal and mqueue.in.slow
> so that regular mail goes to mqueue.in.normal and newsletter mail will
> go to mqueue.in.slow
> and have some mechanism to move messages from mqueue.in.normal and
> mqueue.in.slow to MailScanner mqueue.in for processing and delivery, or
> have MailScanner process both directories with some priority.
> This way regular mail won't stack in mqueue.in waiting to be delivered
> only after all newsletters have been delivered.
>
> Have anyone was able to achieve something similar to what I am trying to
> achieve.
> Am I missing something ?
> Any ideas ?

You can tell MailScanner to use multiple incoming mqueue.in queues,
that's easy, read the docs in MailScanner.conf where you set the
mqueue.in directory location.

However, that won't provide you with any priority over the 2 queues.
To do that you will need some script that puts things from the low
priority queue into MailScanner only when there is virtually nothing in
the high priority queue.

I could write this for you, but I would have to charge you for doing it,
as I have to pay the bills just like anyone else. You guys get
MailScanner for free, but you don't get the rest of my time for free, sorry.

But it's not a very big job, so won't cost you a fortune.

Let me know off-list if you are interested.

- --
Julian Field

Contact me at Jules at MailScanner.biz

Get your PCs and servers from Transtec.de, very well built and reliable!

believed to be clean.