File Attachment size setting questions

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Aug 9 18:16:30 IST 2006

Stephen Swaney wrote:
> [...]

What error message does the Milter produce?
One advantage in rejecting the message in MailScanner is that a full
sender and recipient telling them what happened and why their mail was
rejected.

I have expanded this functionality in the latest release. It used to
treat the message as if it was infected, the only clue being in the
"report line" in the middle. It now sends a completely different message
also result in the oversized attachment being stored in the quarantine,
giving the recipient an alternative, more efficient way of retrieving
the attachment, provided you have some sort of web-based quarantine
management and retrieval system in place, such as the excellent
MailWatch or DefenderMX packages.

Rejecting at the MTA is more efficient, but it doesn't have a chance to
explain the reason in language that users might understand. And it
doesn't notify the recipient at all, so they just see the message as
having either never been sent, or just "lost en route", which is less
than helpful.

This behaviour will damage your business reputation with your customers
as they will just see it lose messages for no apparent reason, making
them conclude that you run an unreliable mail service. And then they
tell all their friends that your service doesn't work. Not good for
business.

The max message size check is done early on in the processing of a message.

- --
Julian Field

Contact me at Jules at MailScanner.biz

Get your PCs and servers from Transtec.de, very well built and reliable!

believed to be clean.