Hylafax on a MailScanner pc

Logan Shaw lshaw at emitinc.com
Tue Aug 8 18:24:09 IST 2006

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Michael St. Laurent wrote:
> How busy do you expect the fax server to be?

Unless you have dozens of modems, it's not like the load is
going to be extremely significant.  The load will be limited
by the very slow bandwidth of the modem that faxes come in
(and go out) over.  I forget whether faxes can go faster than
14.4 kb/s, but even if they could go the full theoretical 56
kb/s that a phone line can (under limited conditions) provide,
that's still not a log of bandwidth.

The only performance issue I can think of is that the load from
running MailScanner could slow down the fax software on the
host to the point where it isn't ready to send or receive and
can't keep up with the modem.  Then you could end up having
a longer phone call to deliver or receive a given message,
or you could even get timeouts, I suppose.  But on a modern
machine that isn't running low on memory, I doubt this will
even be a serious problem.

So, I think the only question would be more of one of how easy
it is to manage with two unrelated services on the same machine.

   - Logan