Virus Updates noise levels

John Rudd jrudd at ucsc.edu
Mon Aug 7 00:55:07 IST 2006

On Aug 6, 2006, at 7:12 AM, Mike Kercher wrote:

>> Hi Julian,
>>  	Any chance we can reduce the noise levels in this?
>>
>> update.virus.scanners: Found clamav installed
>> update.virus.scanners: Running autoupdate for clamav
>> ClamAV-autoupdate[12231]: ClamAV did not need updating
>> update.virus.scanners: Found f-prot installed
>> update.virus.scanners: Running autoupdate for f-prot F-Prot
>> autoupdate[12255]: F-Prot did not need updating.
>>

>> ....perhaps reduce 4 lines into just 1
>>
>> update.virus.scanners: Found clamav installed
>> update.virus.scanners: Running autoupdate for clamav
>> update.virus.scanners: Found f-prot installed
>> update.virus.scanners: Running autoupdate for f-prot
>>      - INTO -
>> update.virus.scanners: Found clamav f-prot installed. Running
>> autoupdate
>>

> Why?

I think the message subject said it all: to reduce noise level.  Signal
to noise level is incredibly important for anything that you plan to
actually read ... like the logs of a production service when you're
trying to track down a problem.

The key to good communication is brevity: say what needs to be said,
say it clearly, and say _nothing_ more.