blocking out-of-office

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 12:12:24 IST 2006

Sorry all, this is drifting wildly off-topic....:-)

On 04/08/06, Koopmann, Jan-Peter <Jan-Peter.Koopmann at seceidos.de> wrote:
> On Friday, August 04, 2006 10:28 AM Glenn Steen wrote:
>
> > Yes. Not all can be solved by mailbox delegations, this is quite true.
> > But is it really helpful for the sender to receive an OoO? Most times
> > no. If it is really urgent, why would you be using *email* and not
> > the phone?
>
> So I need to tell my clients to phone me everytime to make sure a more
> or less urgent matter needs attending? Let's say 200 business days a
> year e-mail would be sufficient. And during my 5 day vacation they would
> need to call me in order to find out. That does not really make sense.

Ah, but then ... that's not really an emegency then. Oh well. It all
depends on your situation. BTW, 5 _days_ vacation? In total? If so,
you need another Union:-D. But if you are away for only five days,
then surely there is nothing sent by email that just couldn't wait...?

> > In an emergency? Oh well, that is a philosophical matter I
> > guess:-).
>
> Indeed.
>
> > too. We have two problems: The policy decision regarding OoO (and
> > this is usually the domain of the PHBs), and the badness of some MTAs
> > in regards to autoresponding
>
> Agreed.
>
> > Ah yes, the third option... Enlightenment.
>
> That works? :-)

Nope. Or at least hasn't done so for the past 20-odd years:-).

> > Unfortunately users are
> > people, and people a people... and there will always be a few that
> > simply don't read the guidelines. Sigh.
>
> That's what I think as well.
>
> Let's stop this thread. Whether or not we like he use of OoO there
> always will be and noone here will change that even if we wanted to. :-)
> In real world there is the need for OoO even if some of you do not agree
> or would try to solve it otherwise.

This subthread at least. The original question posed by Peter was how
to limit the spread of OoO by use of MailScanner... and that has
perhaps some room for discussion left.

--
-- Glenn