blocking out-of-office

Rick Chadderdon mailscanner at yeticomputers.com
Thu Aug 3 21:17:22 IST 2006

Jethro R Binks wrote:
> Saying "personal mail is not
> permitted" isn't good enough unfortunately; regardless of whether it
> should be there or not, if it is there, it needs to be treated with
> respect.
You think so?  I strongly disagree.  If someone abuses a system (and
knowingly using it outside of the standards established *is* abuse) then
their conduct in no way deserves respect.  I'm far too cynical to
believe that anyone claiming not to know the rules is being truthful.
If I loaned someone my car with the condition "smoking is not permitted"
and they *did* smoke...  Grrrr.  I'd not respect that decision, either.
I suppose that if there is no set policy I might make an allowance, but
really...  who nowadays doesn't know that a corporate account should not
be used for personal communication?

Rick